… Because, great skin matters! Clear skin is a blessing few are bestowed with – and ones who have been granted this bounty would not trade it for anything. However, even the best of the skins suffer, owing to stress, pollution, aging, unhealthy lifestyles and more. Hence, everyone – yes every single person – has to take steps to maintain their skin tone, radiance and clarity. Good skin is not just about the color. In fact, the honey and olive complexions are often the clearest and flawless.
Focus on the wholesomeness, the firmness, smoothness and clarity of your skin. And, that is exactly when you would look good in your clothes too. After all great skin is the best accessory you can carry with your ensembles, be it a sensuous saree or a dressy lehenga, or for that matter, a luxe dress.
So, what do the ones who have great skin – do to keep it shining, youthful and spot free? Here are a few vital tips –
1. Good lifestyle
Eat well, exercise regularly, and hit the sack early enough, so you get at least 7-8 hours of sleep every day. Eating right helps as it helps you get all the right nutrients. You can also choose to supplement, basis your needs. All Vitamin and mineral deficiencies can adversely affect your health.
Breaking a sweat, as you exercise increases circulation, beats stress, enhances immunity, and has innumerable other benefits. Naturally, radiant skin is a just a happy side effect!
Manage stress, and find ways to de-stress, if your work involves heavy duty running around.
Sleep is vital to great skin, as this is the time for cellular regeneration. Sleeping eases stress, and relieves muscles.
Vital Tip – Keep changing your pillow-cases, every 2-3 days, if you live in dusty environs, or at least once a week. Use 100% cotton, silk or cotton-silk smooth pillow cases, as they are easy on skin as well as hair.
2. Good skin-care
CTM – Cleanse your skin with gentle cleansers, basis your skin’s needs. Tone your skin using a toner, as per your skin type. Water and ice are great toners too. Witch Hazel is a natural toner, and so is cucumber juice. Moisturize every day (preferably with a product that also has sunscreen with a good SPF). Cleanse again, before you go to sleep. Exfoliate gently once or twice a week. Use high quality products to boost your skin texture.
- Serums (they work better than most creams) with vitamins, retinol and skin boosting ingredients are a great way to pump up your skin’s appearance. Do not shy away from spending on great quality serums.
- Never sleep with your make-up on.
- Steer clear of harsh soaps and untrusted cosmetics and make-up products.
- Wash your face with only water or water mixed with camphor and lemon juice multiple times a day to address problem, oily skin.
- Deal with acne by checking for hormonal issues too.
- Use non-scrubbing exfoliant – after consulting a dermatologist.
- Use tested home remedies to your advantage.
3. Sun Protection
Sun damage is one of the most prominent causes of skin tissue degeneration. Wrinkles, sagging skin, brown spots, crow’s feet, dull, dark skin, enlarged pores and numerous other skin issues are caused by over-exposure to sun and heat.
- Protect your skin by wearing an appropriate sunscreen with SPF 30 or more, depending upon the level and intensity of your skin exposure.
- Apply sunscreen 30 minutes prior to stepping out.
- Re-apply sunscreen, during the day, if your work or schedule involves being out in the sun for longer periods, including if you swim or when the weather is too humid.
- Cover with stoles, wraps and hats additionally.
- If you wear sarees routinely, you must take care of your waist and back skin, and slather sunscreen on those too – as they remain exposed to environment.
4. Whole Body Skin-care
Your face, obviously, is the center of attraction. However, your neck and décolletage require equal tender loving care. And, so does your entire body – especially the exposed body parts like hands, feet, arms etc. Use the same products you use for face on your neck, upper back and décolletage to maintain a youthful appearance.
- Do not forget your hands and feet, as you plan your skin care regime. Moisturize them every day, and use a rich night cream to massage them gently, before you sleep.
- Exercise your neck and chest area with stretches and resistance training moves. Cleanse gently and moisturize them daily too.
Keeping pimples, allergies and infections is an effective way of keeping your skin spot-free. Also, cleanliness matters – we lose almost 50 million dead cells from skin every day. Add to it the dust, grime, sweat, heat particles, particulate pollutants and make up bits – and you have a lot and lot of build-up on skin every single day. Cleansing, washing and maintaining proper hygiene is a must. This applies to face as well as the entire body.
- Exfoliate (gently) your facial, neck, back and décolletage skin – at least once every week.
- Clean your pores – this will also minimize the appearance of large pores. Steam facial skin lightly for 3-4 minutes, once a week, to de-clog pores.
- Keep your hands and feet clean and dry. Scrub heels and keep them moisturized.
- Do not touch your facial skin and acne/ pimples with fingers all the time, as this leads to scarring and also spreads microbes.
- Consult a good dermatologist to deal with skin issues – instead of self-diagnosing everything.
- Never go to bed without cleansing and washing.
- Use cleansers and washes, as per your skin type.
6. Keep yourself hydrated…
… With water and other healthful, neutral liquids. Drink water through the day. Infuse with lemon juice or other fancy ingredients to make your water routine more interesting. Water hydrates and moisturizes the skin like nothing else, so there’s no substitute to this actually.
- Make interesting water infusions with mint leaves, green apple slices, strawberries, ginger garnishes, kiwi fruit and more.
- Drink up green juices, clear soups, wheat grass juice and other healthy liquids, instead of sugary drinks.
- Gorge on citrus fruits (instead of juicing them), and also on water-filled fruits and veggies like tomatoes, water melon, melon and berries.
- Aloe vera juice, apple cider vinegar, Indian gooseberry juice are good for health and skin. Mix these amazing liquids in small quantities – with water, and drink for radiant skin and great digestion.
7. Raid your refrigerator or kitchen cupboard…
… to eat well as well as to source simple ingredients to use as cleansers, face packs and natural moisturizers. In other words, use simple and inexpensive home remedies to your advantage – and way to great skin.
- Ice is the first and best thing you get from your refrigerator – use ice cubes to curb inflammation and enlarged pores. Rub ice cubes gently on headless pimples and fresh pimple scars. Use these wonder cubes to tones and refresh your skin.
- Citrus fruits, berries and veggies like tomato, cucumber, cilantro, basil etc. are as good ON your skin as they are IN your body.
- Whenever you eat a grapefruit or orange, do not forget to use a slice to slather your face and neck with.
- Also, crush a few raspberries or strawberries, especially the overripe ones to make a wonderful cleansing and toning face pack.
- Use home remedies, basis your skin type only, though. For example chickpea flour is great for oily skin, but not for dry and mature ones. Similarly, over use of high ph-level Baking Soda may not be suitable for sensitive skins. Certain home remedies must not be used on acne-prone skins. So, find what works the best for you – and only follow that.
Always remember – maintain great skin is a lifelong process. You can’t finish it in a day. Similarly, do not expect lightning fast, quick results from any of the suggested routines, or even from your skin-care products. Give yourself, skincare practices and skincare products time. And, be willing to put in regular effort. Only then will you be blessed with great skin – forever!
Colorful Indian ensembles from Saree.com can add an amazing glow to your face and skin. Complement your stunning Bridal Lehenga Choli or Wedding Saree with lovely, radiant skin, and see how everything becomes flawless! Remember, though, there’s no shortcut to ageless, pretty skin. Take care of your skin regularly…